The core elements listed below form the foundation of the St. Bernadette Religious Education Program. With these we seek to cultivate the hearts, minds, and souls of our students to their fullest potential from Kindergarten through eighth grade.
- "Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture make up a single sacred deposit of the Word of God" (DV 10).
- Traditional Catholic Doctrine faithful to the magisterium of the Church is taught.
- The promotion of frequent reception of the Sacraments of Penance and Holy Eucharist is stressed.
- Studying the lives of the saints gives us examples of people with great virtue and love of Christ.
- We take very seriously the program of preparation for being good disciples in the Church. Our Catechists receive year-round training and continued formation.
- We hold very highly our responsibility to teach our children active charity for others, to truly become a leaven for our society.
- Devotion to our Blessed Mother Mary is encouraged because she is the Mother of God and a strong advocate for us.
- The importance of prayer (Eucharistic and Marian devotions, lectio divina, etc.) is stressed as a source for growth in the spiritual life.
parent & catechist handbook
We love our parents! The Second Vatican Council teaches us: "Since parents have given children their life, they are bound by the most serious obligation to educate their offspring and therefore must be recognized as the primary and principal educators" (Declaration on Education, Gravissimum educationis, 1965). We will do all that is necessary to support the parents as primary teachers of the faith to their children.
2018-2019 Parent & Catechist Handbook coming soon!
Registration is currently under way for the 2018-2019 school year, which begins on Sunday, September 9, 2018
Sundays, 2:30-3:45pm (K-8, RCIC)
Mondays, 5:00-6:15pm (K-8)
Tuesdays, 5:00-6:15pm (K-8)
If you have ANY questions about your child’s religious education or sacrament preparation requirements, please contact Martha Drennan in the Faith Formation office: firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 451-8576 ext 136.
RE tuition is $60 per child. *There is an additional $50 fee for students enrolling in the 8th grade (Confirmation) class. This fee covers additional materials, retreats, reception, and Confirmation robe.
Tuition and fees are due at time of registration unless other arrangements are made through the Religious Education Office. Payments may be made by cash or check; currently, we are unable accept debit or credit cards.
important info at a glance
First Confession & First Communion (Grade 2)
- Parent Meeting: September 13, 2018, 7pm
- First Confession Service: During class time (during the Lenten season) TBD
- First Communion Masses: Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5, 2019
Confirmation Preparation (Grade 7 & 8)
- Parent/Candidate Meeting for 8th graders: September 27, 2018 (7pm)
- Parent/Candidate Meeting for 7th graders: October 11, 2018 (7pm)
- 8th Grade Retreat: Boys, November 16 &17
- 8th Grade Retreat: Girls, November 30 & Dec 1
- Confirmation Consultations for 8th graders: TBD
- Confirmation rehearsal: TBD
- Mass of Confirmation: Saturday, March 9, 2019, 10am
Confirmation Forms 2020 Year I (7th Graders and Year I RCIC)
Confirmation Forms (2019) Year II (8th Graders)