The core elements listed below form the foundation of the St. Bernadette Religious Education Program. With these we seek to cultivate the hearts, minds, and souls of our students to their fullest potential from Kindergarten through eighth grade.
- "Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture make up a single sacred deposit of the Word of God" (DV 10).
- Traditional Catholic Doctrine faithful to the magisterium of the Church is taught.
- The promotion of frequent reception of the Sacraments of Penance and Holy Eucharist is stressed.
- Studying the lives of the saints gives us examples of people with great virtue and love of Christ.
- We take very seriously the program of preparation for being good disciples in the Church. Our Catechists receive year-round training and continued formation.
- We hold very highly our responsibility to teach our children active charity for others, to truly become a leaven for our society.
- Devotion to our Blessed Mother Mary is encouraged because she is the Mother of God and a strong advocate for us.
- The importance of prayer (Holy Hours, the Rosary, Novenas, and participation in the Mass) is stressed as a source for growth in the spiritual life.
parent & catechist handbook
We love our parents! The Second Vatican Council teaches us: "Since parents have given children their life, they are bound by the most serious obligation to educate their offspring and therefore must be recognized as the primary and principal educators" (Declaration on Education, Gravissimum educationis, 1965). We will do all that is necessary to support the parents as primary teachers of the faith to their children.
Please download a copy of our Parent & Catechist Handbook 2016-2017.
schedule of classes
Grades K – 8 (registration begins in June, classes begin in September)
Mondays, 4:45-6:00pm & 6:30-7:45pm
If you have ANY questions about your child’s religious education or sacrament preparation requirements, please contact David Wallace in the Religious Education office: email@example.com and (703) 451-8576 ext 136.
RE tuition is $60 per child. *There is an additional $50 fee for students enrolling in the 8th grade (Confirmation) class. This fee covers additional materials, retreats, reception, and Confirmation robe.
Tuition and fees are due at time of registration unless other arrangements are made through the Religious Education Office. Payments may be made by cash or check; we do not accept debit or credit cards.
important info at a glance
Download an Enrollment Form (Enrollment is currently closed. Please contact the RE office to see where we might be able to place your child.)
First Confession & First Communion
- Parent Meeting: Sunday, October 16, 2016 (6:30pm in the church)
- First Penance Practicum: Saturday, January 21, 2017 (9-11am in the cafeteria)
- First Confession Service: During class time on March 19, 20, and 21
- First Communion Masses: Saturday, May 20 & Sunday, May 21, 2017 (All Masses)
- Parent Meeting: Sunday, October 23, 2016 (6:30pm in the church)
- NET Ministries retreat: Monday, January 16, 2017 (9am-4pm)
- Confirmation Consultations: Scheduled during Lent
- Confirmation rehearsal: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 (6:00pm)
- Mass of Confirmation with Archbishop Timothy Broglio: Thursday, May 11, 2017 (7:30pm)